Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: moving to Linux (Read 10120 times) previous topic - next topic

moving to Linux

Reply #26
If you are considering adding a hard drive, now (when adding linux) would be a good time.  That way you don't have to worry about shrinking your NTFS  (windows file system) to make room on the hard drive for the linux partitions.  I think most distro's
don't handle ntfs shrinking well.

moving to Linux

Reply #27
I am a big fan of OpenBSD for a firewall. I have been running one for a few years. OpenBSD is not as civilized as something like Debian Linux (that means easy.) Patches are harder to apply. APT-GET in Debian is a dream.
I tried OpenBSD for a desktop. I didn't care for the results. Debian was quite a bit easier for me to build a desktop machine or Samba server. The Debian also did better as a primary domain controller. I could script automatic machine adding. This was not possible in OpenBSD.

moving to Linux

Reply #28
If you are considering adding a hard drive, now (when adding linux) would be a good time.  That way you don't have to worry about shrinking your NTFS  (windows file system) to make room on the hard drive for the linux partitions.  I think most distro's
don't handle ntfs shrinking well.

You could use PartitionMagic to shrink your NTFS partition which usually works fine.  Though John33 would have a differing opinion about PM