Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2214696 times) previous topic - next topic

[seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #3900
[I got album dates displaying: ['['%date%']'] %album% (got this from a tutorial on foo_dop)]

My question is does it make sense to try to get track numbers displaying next to titles? This is what I got using my Zune. And, what here should I use to do this? My first attempt was to iPod Manager>Field == Title and Mapping == %tracknumber%-%title%. I tried "Synchronize" alone. Next, I tried rewrite database and then "Synchronize". Obviously, I'm not getting the format correctly and/or there are other steps I need to do?

You shouldn't have to touch field mapping settings. dop knows to use the song's %artist% for the iPod's %artist% mapping automatically. What you are trying to do (displaying things) has nothing to do with dop. I also can't help you because I'm not a foobar expert.

[I got album dates displaying: ['['%date%']'] %album% (got this from a tutorial on foo_dop) after my first sync]

I got the idea from a WiKi[fied] article from What.CD that was passed on to me by a member there [who does not much about foobar]. It helped me setup foo_dop. But, it also had an example of how to display album dates along with the album name which I found useful. So, I now have album dates displayed next to the album name. And, this is what showed me that it should be possible to display track numbers alongside song titles in a similar manner in your iPod. It's all about syntax. But, there may be more steps involved. i.e. After doing your initial sync, and you make a change in formatting, how do you get these changes to take place in the iPod?

Reply #3901
I just noticed two apple/iPod services/programs running in the background: "ipodservice.exe" and "ituneshelper.exe". Are either of these necessary for the iPod function? Or, for foo_dop to function?

Reply #3902
All of my music is stored in My Music [on a storage drive]. There is one sub-folder for each artist. For each artist, there can be many sub-folders for each album. I have the foo_bar media library pointing to this folder - My Music. I've been able to sync successfully.

One exception is an artist folder that is actually a collection of MP3s named "Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Songs of All time". All 500 songs are contained in this folder. And, I have a playlist in this folder [playlist.m3u] that was created and worked well in my Zune software. This does not seem to work well in Foobar. How can I re-create this playlist to include all of these 500 songs and work properly in Foobar and properly sync to iPod using foo_dop? For that matter, where would this playlist be stored in the Foobar scenario? I  just want this to display as an album would display: all 500 tracks listed. Right now this playlist.m3u does display under the "Playlists" menu item in the iPod [or anywhere that I can find].

Reply #3903
Hi,

I've deleted some tracks from my iPod as explained in the documentation (load ipod library, delete tracks from it). The files were deleted from the ipod but still appear on it in the menus. (But when I play them, nothing happens). I've tried rewriting the database but it didn't help...

Any solutions?

Thanks

Alex

Reply #3904
Can someone reupload iphonecalc.dll, please? It seems to be deleted from mediafire and upload it to the hosting that is not blocked by russian authorities (as mediafire does).

Reply #3905
I want to change the database as in this. My example that works right now for compilation is this:
Code: [Select]
$if($stricmp($meta(album artist),various artists),1,%ipod_compilation%)
Right now when I click on Compilation in my iPod I get 1 album that meets this criteria.
I want to alter this so that albums with "greatest", "best of", "boxed", etc. will be recognized as compilations. Someone is helping with the coding here.
But, I need to figure out how to update the iPod to reflect this change to the database as well?

Reply #3906
Right now when I click on Compilation in my iPod I get 1 album that meets this criteria.
I want to alter this so that albums with "greatest", "best of", "boxed", etc. will be recognized as compilations.

I don't want to reply in both threads but why are you making this so hard on yourself?

Your iPod will automatically pick up any album with "Various Artists" as the Album Artist and insert itself into the Compilations section of your iPod interface.

This requires literally zero manual effort and maintenance because anything such as "Greatest Hits", "Best of", or anything related to record label compilations, your album artist should already be "Various Artists" if your music library is organized and you follow tagging standards.

tl;dr

"Various Artists" as %album artist% is the key.

If you don't want to rely on the above criteria, which is automatic, you can tag your album with %compilation% and set it to 1 to brute force it. This should be your secondary solution because this does require manual effort.

Reply #3907
@RavenGT
I think the author of foo_dop allowed this database configuration because it is flexible. Your music collection does not have to be tagged correctly if you use it? i.e. You only need to change the mapping to change the definition of what defines a compilation?
It may take a few tries to get the syntax right. But, it seems as if the hard part is to figure out how to effect these changes in the iPod w/o syncing your entire music collection all over again?

Reply #3908
I think the author of foo_dop allowed this

Actually yes this is a very important I completely forgot to mention. This behavior with "Various Artists" being automatically interpreted is because of foo_dop. I forgot if I had done anything myself but my compilation mapping is already configured to
Code: [Select]
$if($stricmp($meta(album artist),various artists),1,%ipod_compilation%)
and works right away.

When you're done, open iPod View in foobar, right click then click update (rewrite?) iPod database. I'm not 100% certain but it should work just like that.

Reply #3909
...snip...
When you're done, open iPod View in foobar, right click then click update (rewrite?) iPod database. I'm not 100% certain but it should work just like that.

I have tried a few things, but have not got this part to work. From foo_dop:
Use the update metadata command to update existing tracks on the iPod

After changing these settings, you can apply them to existing tracks on the iPod by:

On the File menu, point to iPod, and then click Load library.
On the shortcut menu for the affected tracks, point to iPod, and then click Update metadata on iPod.
After changing these settings, you can manually apply them by:

On the File menu, point to iPod, and then click Rewrite database.

"On the shortcut menu for the affected tracks, point to iPod, and then click Update metadata on iPod.": This is the piece that I can not find? I seem to be missing something here. i.e. I tried "Load Library" followed by "Rewrite Database", but it not seem to have any effect.

EDIT: I have only one view and that is integrated in Foobar and that is Facets [and I forgot how I did this]. I need to figure out how to add a view for  iPod, but don't know how to do this? i.e. Preferences>Context Menu>iPod>Update Metadata is checked. I just need to figure out how to add/integrate a view for iPod in order to access the Update Metadata function?

Reply #3910
Let revisit these 3 steps from foo_dop:
1. Load library.
2. Update metadata on iPod.
3. Rewrite database.

1 and 3 are always available from File>iPod menu. Step 2 I can't find anywhere.
What if this process is intended to be used only when U change tags/metadata? I have not tested this, but maybe step 2 is only visible when U have change some tags/metadata?

Finally, if this makes sense, maybe when U change a mapping in this database view, U have to re-sync your entire music collection in order to have the changes applied?

Reply #3911
Finally, if I want to "force" a re-sync of my entire collection, is it possible to do this with foo_dop? Or, do you need to do a "reset" with iTunes? Or, using a key combo with the device?

Reply #3912
I think everyone is aware of this quirk about the iPod. If you click on an artist in the artist view that only has one album then you will immediately see the tracks for that album w/o getting a chance to click that album first.

My code above to identify compilations had an unintended consequence because of this [I think]. Artists who only have 1 album that have been marked as a compilation only display under the Compilation view in the iPod and not the artist view!

Wow!

EDIT: Actually, the code is here.

Reply #3913
Hello. First post here so I'm apologize if bringing this thread up is not allowed.

Anyway, I have an itouch with ios 6.1.6. I have foo_dop.dll and iphonecalc.dll installed already the apple drivers. I don't have itunes, however. When I send songs to the ipod the ipod doesn't pick up the songs in the Music app. When I check the storage on the ipod it shows that something has been added. In foobar, it shows all the songs that are supposedly in the ipod. Can anyone help me out? What do I need to do for the ipod to show the songs i've added?

Many thanks! Cheers.

edit: the ipod is 32GB, Black MC544LL/A (4th Generation)

Reply #3914
Hello. First post here so I'm apologize if bringing this thread up is not allowed.

Anyway, I have an itouch with ios 6.1.6. I have foo_dop.dll and iphonecalc.dll installed already the apple drivers. I don't have itunes, however. When I send songs to the ipod the ipod doesn't pick up the songs in the Music app. When I check the storage on the ipod it shows that something has been added. In foobar, it shows all the songs that are supposedly in the ipod. Can anyone help me out? What do I need to do for the ipod to show the songs i've added?

Many thanks! Cheers.

edit: the ipod is 32GB, Black MC544LL/A (4th Generation)

You must sync with iTunes again WITH MANUAL MANAGE MUSIC SETTING

It is something caused by different database problem
Can the author do something as I can't sync it with my iphoen 6 now.
It just said "Error reading iTunesDB : Expected master playlist in first position"
I think apple has changed its format.

Or is there are any plug-in on foobar so it can convert my playlist to formats that Apple support then I can sync with iTunes?

Reply #3915
As mentioned previously in this thread, this plug-in is no longer being developed and is not compatible with modern iPhones. A list of what devices this plug-in is compatible with is mentioned on the developer's website: http://yuo.be/wiki/dop:start

Reply #3916
works fine. just not bring back foobar on internal reboot call.

Reply #3917
I'm trying to use foo_dop on a 2nd Gen iPod Touch. It's working fine on the iPod side, but Foobar just refuses to convert the flac automatically. I have lame.exe and nero's aac encoder where it's supposed to be - at least, I think so, since I can convert each of them separately from the right-click menu - but it just refuses to do anything by itself. It's getting annoying. Does anyone have a solution?

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. I am a fool.

Reply #3918
Does anyone know exactly how audiobooks should be tagged?

You can set tag "Media Kind" to "Audiobook" or "Podcast" and it will show up correctly on the ipod, but for audiobooks it seems to look for other tags than %artist%, %title% and so on...

Also, there is a section called "iTunes U", I guess foo_dop can't send things there?

Reply #3919
Audiobooks are only recognized by iTunes/device firmware as such when the "Media Kind" is set to "Audiobook". Other tags seem to be universal. As far as I know, the only ones that actually matter for display purposes are "Artist" and "Title". The firmware (and iTunes) seems to assume that each individual file is its own "book" and extraneous tags such as "album" and "track number" are completely ignored.

Reply #3920
Yes, I also thought it did use the standard fields for Audiobooks. What device do you have sylla?

The metadata fields supported by iPod manager are documented here: http://yuo.be/wiki/dop:metadata (though it doesn't shed much more light).

You're right in that iPod manager doesn't support an 'iTunes U' value in MEDIA KIND. It's probably an artificial limitation...

Reply #3921
IIRC, "iTunes U" did not exist before foo_dop's final update.

Also of note are the IPOD_REMEMBER_PLAYBACK_POSITION and IPOD_SKIP_WHEN_SHUFFLING tags, which are useful for audiobooks. I forgot those could be set with foo_dop.

Reply #3922
I have a 7g nano. It works fine after I downgraded a version number.
With podcasts, everything is ok, but the ipod ignores their tracknumbers and sorts by title instead... Which is good for podcasts, but not for audiobooks of course 
Audiobooks are ungrouped so that every track gets its own group, the groups looking something like %BLANK% - %artist% / Chapter 1 - Chapter 1, so there are a lot of groups that looks the same.... then in the playing screen %title% shows up

Thanks for the answers. I'll test what it looks after after work. If nothing else, it should be fine to just tag IPOD_REMEMBER_PLAYBACK_POSITION and IPOD_SKIP_WHEN_SHUFFLING for the audiobooks, it doesn't matter that much if they appear in the Audiobooks section of the ipod or not.

Reply #3923
Ah. Did you downgrade iPod manager or the iPod firmware?

I'd wager Audiobooks from iTunes come as MP4s with embedded iTunes chapters, so that's probably partly relevant. iPod manager does read iTunes chapters from MP4 files, but that's no use if your files don't have them.

There's probably something else funny going on, but that wouldn't be too surprising since it's a nano 7G. Perhaps I should pick up one on eBay and have a look; it's certainly a less intimidating task than fixing iOS 

Reply #3924
No I downgraded the ipod from 1.0.3 to 1.0.2. I use foo_dop version 0.6.9.6.

I added all the tags from http://yuo.be/wiki/dop:metadata to some tracks tagged as media kind "Audiobook", but it didn't seem to do anything, it's still listed as before (I also used "update metadata"). They are .mp3s and I've only tagged them manually through foobar2000...

Maybe the best way for now is to tag the audiobooks as podcasts, and then just use something like $if($stricmp(%media kind%,Podcast),%tracknumber% - %title%,%title%) in the foo_dop settings.