Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: a foobar2000 format conversion difficulty [edit: APE to FLAC] (Read 2208 times) previous topic - next topic

a foobar2000 format conversion difficulty [edit: APE to FLAC]

Perhaps this is a well know thing but my search did not turn up anything.
I've recently been using fb2k (v 1.2.2) to mass convert files from Monkey's Audio (V3.92) to FLAC -- 64 bit Win7.   

Files (16/44.1) have been stored on CD-R in compressed .ape format, each album in its own folder. I've copied them to hard drive to work on. Most have converted with no difficulty (~3500 tracks so far) but two (not near each other in space or time) have not worked. fb2k reported the conversion as done with major problems, files corrupted or not in a supported format.

Both tracks converted part way before stopping suddenly. Likewise, the .ape version plays in fb2k until it reaches that point. Attempting conversion to .wav and .mp3 via fb2k gives the same result. I recopied the files from CD-R (two different CDs, at two different times), in case that had not gone well the first time. There was no difference.

However, Moneky's Audio uncompressed them to .wav with no difficulty, no hesitation. The decompressed tracks play in fb2k and sound as thought they have no problems. The problem seems to be something fb2k's conversion could not handle because its processing lacked whatever Monkey's Audio does to deal with it -- it there was indeed anything the least unusual for Monkey's Audio to handle.

Obviously I got what I wanted, after a few detours, but maybe there is a bug of sorts in fb2k. I have the two tracks available if someone has a legitimate use for them.

Reply #1
Unfortunately I can’t offer specific advice, but it’s interesting to note that this seems to be almost the reverse of another problem reported earlier this week, so I wonder if they’re related.

I’ve updated the title to be more descriptive (also shhhh, you can’t tell anyone about foobar20000 yet )

Reply #2
The "occasional" in the title could be misleading in considering this similar or related to the other thread cited by db1989. These tracks fail every time, in conjunction with other files in the batch or when they are the only file selected.

This could not be a random interference by some system process since it is consistent.
There is nothing unusual about the file names.

Reply #4
If you have located files which consistently fail to convert inside foobar2000, you could help the project by uploading the files somewhere and PMing a link to Peter. It may be possible to fix the issue.