Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC 1.1.4 (Read 132296 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #75
Does the coverter have this bug if the custom setting is NOT used?  IE if you just choose FLAC from the built in settings?

Yes, but it can hardly be called a bug, just a minor annoyance if you dislike unnecessary seekpoints.

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #76
The four de-facto RG tags isn't shown in fb2k's "Properties" dialog, but fb2k still parses them and lists the gain and peak values in the "Properties" section of the "Properties" dialog. FLAC's ReplayGain implementation also sets a "REPLAYGAIN_REFERENCE_LOUDNESS" tag in addition to the four de-factor RG tags and since fb2k dosen't recognice that tag as being a RG tag, then that tag is also listed among the other non-RG tags in the "Metadata" section of the "Properties" dialog.

Actually this is a problem that I've been wrestling with for the past year, not just with the new release of flac. I don't understand why fb2k doesn't just read the flac replaygain tags. Is there a way to change the way fb2k parses and uses tags in flac files? Thanks.

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #77
Seeing as though Linux can handle the wildcard expansion and FLAC can takes its own format as input, I'm looking at running a simple command line to run through my entire directory structure, but can't find out how to make the command recursive.

Any clues how to do this easily people, I have about 350GB of FLAC's I'd like to convert to 1.1.4 -8

Cheers,

Kristian

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #78
EDIT: Whoops, misread your post, your using Linux not Windows
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #79
Seeing as though Linux can handle the wildcard expansion and FLAC can takes its own format as input, I'm looking at running a simple command line to run through my entire directory structure, but can't find out how to make the command recursive.

Any clues how to do this easily people, I have about 350GB of FLAC's I'd like to convert to 1.1.4 -8

Code: [Select]
find /path/to/flacs -name '*.flac' -print0 | xargs -0 flac --verify --best --force

Have fun!

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #80
Cheers, I shall give it a go in the next few days

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #81
I know a lot of people have asked in this thead and elsewhere why the FLAC home page had not yet been updated to reflect the FLAC 1.1.4 release (the reason being explained already by Josh).

Well I am happy to report that today the FLAC home page got its 1.1.4 update:

http://flac.sourceforge.net

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #82
I know a lot of people have asked in this thead and elsewhere why the FLAC home page had not yet been updated to reflect the FLAC 1.1.4 release (the reason being explained already by Josh).

Well I am happy to report that today the FLAC home page got its 1.1.4 update:

http://flac.sourceforge.net

Unfortunately, the download link (at least for the Windows installer) is still 1.1.3b.

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #83
The four de-facto RG tags isn't shown in fb2k's "Properties" dialog, but fb2k still parses them and lists the gain and peak values in the "Properties" section of the "Properties" dialog. FLAC's ReplayGain implementation also sets a "REPLAYGAIN_REFERENCE_LOUDNESS" tag in addition to the four de-factor RG tags and since fb2k dosen't recognice that tag as being a RG tag, then that tag is also listed among the other non-RG tags in the "Metadata" section of the "Properties" dialog.

Well that's the thing.  The four RG tags that fb2k usually shows in the 'Properties' tab of the 'Properties' dialog are missing.  That's what doesn't make sense.  The REFERENCE tag is in the metadata section, but no actual RG tags are present anywhere that I can see.  Remember this is flac 1.1.4.  I think everything was OK with 1.1.3 when I tested it out.

NOTE:  Mp3tag sees the 4 actual RG tags in the 'Extended Tag' info.  Why not fb2k then?

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #84
The improvement in encoding speed over version 1.1.3 is impressive, but wavpack -hh is still over two times faster than flac --best, and compresses better (478 MiB vs. 491 MiB for Daft Punk's Homework, which is almost 74 minutes long)… Why is FLAC still getting so much more attention by software & hardware developers than WavPack?

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #85
Why is FLAC still getting so much more attention by software & hardware developers than WavPack?

Cross platform and seamlessly handles aiff's come first to mind

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #86
(almost twice as fast at encoding, not decoding.  flac -8 decodes twice as fast as wavpack -hh on x86.)

I don't know about software, but for hardware, it's because of the other things that are more important in that segment, like decode speed, library, momentum.  besides, those speeds are on x86 which is irrelevant to consumer electronics.

Josh

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #88
Well that's the thing.  The four RG tags that fb2k usually shows in the 'Properties' tab of the 'Properties' dialog are missing.  That's what doesn't make sense.  The REFERENCE tag is in the metadata section, but no actual RG tags are present anywhere that I can see.  Remember this is flac 1.1.4.  I think everything was OK with 1.1.3 when I tested it out.

NOTE:  Mp3tag sees the 4 actual RG tags in the 'Extended Tag' info.  Why not fb2k then?

There's something wrong on your end, then. I have just tested it out by running the following command-lines with flac.exe v1.14 and metaflac.exe v1.14 :
flac --replay-gain test.wav

fb2k v0.9.4.2 parses the four de-facto RG tags correctly and displays the gain and peak values under : Properties > "Properties".
metaflac --remove-replay-gain test.flac
metaflac --add-replay-gain test.flac

fb2k v0.9.4.2 parses the four de-facto RG tags correctly and displays the gain and peak values under : Properties > "Properties".

If you are running "metaflac --add-replay-gain filename.flac" on files allready loaded into a fb2k playlist, then fb2k will only parse the newly created RG tags when selecting : Tagging > "Reload info from files".

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #89
I'm not using metaflac at the moment.  I'll do some more testing, but I've already tried two runs with REACT2 in image mode and the RG tags are not being read by fb2k.  As I said, they appear in mp3tag so this is strange.

Maybe it's something to do with REACT2 and embedding a cuesheet in the flac file?  Martin, can you try an image run with REACT2 if you have it with the options to add RG (not apply it) and embed the cuesheet?

EDIT:  I confirmed your procedure above works.  So it seems it must be something with the embedded cuesheet.  Let me know if you get a chance to test it.

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #90
@wraithdu

Please forgive me for saying that you where wrong in my previous post. I had just gone to bed and i was thinking about your issue, and then it hit me that you wheren't talking about track files but about images with embedded cuesheet and that in that case, then you where absolutely right in what you've said, so i immidiately jumped out of my bed and turned on my PC, to retract my previous statement  I can now also see by your "Edit" section, that you also thinks that it's about the embedded cuesheet, and in which you are perfectly correct in.

The problem is that fb2k dosen't parse those RG tags when they are defined on an image file with embedded cuesheet. Of course, then track gain couldn't work in this way either, but as atleast album gain would work perfectly, then i wrote a post on the fb2k forum about this issue about 2 month ago, but unfortunetly i didn't get a responce from one of the fb2k developers. The only solution you then have to get your images album gained with REACT and which fb2k also will pick up, is then to setup your react.ini file to run WaveGain.exe on the image and then to let REACT add REM comments to the embedded cuesheet with the RG info, and this will fb2k parse correctly.

Again, sorry for saying that you where wrong before, my friend and i hope that you will please accept my apology for this

CU, Martin.

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #91
No offense taken at all Martin

I realise that problems like these are so system/config dependent that people are likely to have different test results.  In this case I RG scan my resulting flac image with fb2k so as to have track and album gain tags.  In the end I'm just glad to know what the issues was.  Thanks for taking the time.

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #92
Thank's wraithdu  and you are very welcome

CU, Martin.

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #93
Just want to say a big thanks to Josh for all FLAC development, past and present.
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #95
I've noticed that playback with the in_flac.dll that comes with Winamp 5.33, which uses 1.1.2e libraries I believe, sounds different than with 1.1.4 in_flac plugin.  The best way for me to describe the difference is that when I playback .flac files with the 1.1.4 plugin, it sounds as though the equalizer in Winamp is turned off, whereas with the 1.1.2e in_flac, the equalizer settings apply (which makes it sound better on my speakers).  Am I missing something here?
I just discovered Opus. Holy mackerel!

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #96
I've noticed that playback with the in_flac.dll that comes with Winamp 5.33, which uses 1.1.2e libraries I believe, sounds different than with 1.1.4 in_flac plugin.  The best way for me to describe the difference is that when I playback .flac files with the 1.1.4 plugin, it sounds as though the equalizer in Winamp is turned off, whereas with the 1.1.2e in_flac, the equalizer settings apply (which makes it sound better on my speakers).  Am I missing something here?

There is an official Winamp FLAC 1.1.4-based decoder plugin forthcoming.

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #97
A plugin does not need to be 'official' for the EQ to function. Jerethi, why can't you tell for sure if equalizing is performed? Just raise some bands and check the difference.

I'm using the old 1.0beta6a built on 2003-05-06 and the EQ works.

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #98
if a decoding plugin has to do something special (I'm not sure why) to make the equalizer work, the reference plugin is not doing it.

Josh

FLAC 1.1.4

Reply #99
is this a bug?
I thought for sure that 1.1.4 alpha was able to force encode through this problem but maybe I'm wrong.

no, this came up before somewhere else and I gave the long explanation.  anyway id3 on flac files is going to get less and less support as time goes on.

Sorry for the late reply, but...

If this is not bug, why does flac -t not return an error, but trying to re-encode it fails?

IMO, if flac won't re-encode it, then flac test should fail.

I will have to dig up and re-read the long explaination, but I don't quite understand why even if flac does not support id3 metadata writing/updating/etc, it still should not fail to decode/re-encode because of it.

In any case, if id3 tags will continue to fail re-encodes in the future, then at least please make test fail as well so they are consistent results.