Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar has no internet connection (Read 5868 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar has no internet connection

I have a portable install of fb2k and it can't seem to access the internet for anything - web radio, cd info, updates, even the online troubleshooter.
The only explanation I get from the program is "connection error".
I tried searching for people with similar issues but I was surprised to find none... unless my googling skills are having an off day.

If it helps, here are the extensions I'm using:
Core (2013-03-29 11:10:54 UTC)
    foobar2000 core 1.2.4
foo_albumlist.dll (2013-02-11 11:28:58 UTC)
    Album List 4.5
foo_cad.dll (2013-04-10 00:18:01 UTC)
    CD Art Display 1.0.2
foo_cdda.dll (2013-03-07 09:48:32 UTC)
    CD Audio Decoder 3.0
foo_converter.dll (2013-03-29 11:09:02 UTC)
    Converter 1.5
foo_deskband_controls.dll (2013-04-10 13:58:06 UTC)
    Deskband Controls 0.4.0.0
foo_fileops.dll (2013-02-11 11:28:10 UTC)
    File Operations 2.2
foo_freedb2.dll (2013-02-11 11:27:56 UTC)
    Online Tagger 0.7
foo_httpcontrol.dll (2010-11-16 01:46:38 UTC)
    HTTP Control 0.97.3
foo_input_std.dll (2013-03-29 11:09:54 UTC)
    Standard Input Array 1.0
foo_out_asio.dll (2013-02-25 01:30:30 UTC)
    ASIO support 2.1.2
foo_rainmeter.dll (2013-04-10 00:21:27 UTC)
    Rainmeter NowPlaying Interface 1.0.3
foo_rgscan.dll (2013-03-29 11:09:02 UTC)
    ReplayGain Scanner 2.2
foo_ui_std.dll (2013-03-29 11:09:24 UTC)
    Default User Interface 0.9.5
foo_uie_biography.dll (2013-04-10 17:30:32 UTC)
    Biography View 0.4.2.4
foo_vis_shpeck.dll (2011-03-14 23:58:59 UTC)
    Shpeck - Winamp vis plugins wrapper 0.3.7

thanks in advance for help...

Reply #1
Any change if you run as an administrator?
Or maybe your firewall is blocking it?

Reply #2
Any change if you run as an administrator?
Or maybe your firewall is blocking it?

I made sure my firewall was not blocking it (allowed on local and public networks), and running as admin makes no difference. Thanks, though...

Anyone have any other ideas?

Reply #3
if you're on a network (for example, at work) that you don't have control over, it might be a proxy server that is blocking access. don't you get anything more specific than "connection error"? you usually get a more descriptive message telling you what kind of error it is.

Reply #4
I had the same problem because I accidently set fb2k to use a proxy server
Go to preferences -> networking, check "No Proxy" if it isnt checked

Reply #5
if you're on a network (for example, at work) that you don't have control over, it might be a proxy server that is blocking access. don't you get anything more specific than "connection error"? you usually get a more descriptive message telling you what kind of error it is.

No proxy here. OpenDNS, but that shouldn't affect it as far as I know.
And no, nothing more specific.
I try to get the online troubleshooter and it says "Online troubleshooter failure: Connection error"
I try to play web radio and it says "Unable to open item for playback (Connection error):" followed by the URL of the stream.
Try to update and it says "Update check failure: Connection error"

I had the same problem because I accidently set fb2k to use a proxy server
Go to preferences -> networking, check "No Proxy" if it isnt checked

Nope, checked that setting several times just to make sure...

Anyone else? Any ideas how I can find more specific info about why it's not working?

Reply #6
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm having this issue on my laptop, Windows 8.1.  I also had exactly the same issue on my PC, running Windows 7.  I've tried running as administrator, and allowed through firewall (hell, I even disabled the firewall to make sure...).  Anything that uses the internet simply doesn't work... checking for updates, scrobbler, discogs tagger etc.  It has worked in the past but it stopped working a few months ago.  The only way I fixed it on my PC was to reinstall Windows, which I would rather avoid.  I have an OpenVPN installation as the above poster mentioned, although I am not currently using it.  Maybe foobar is trying to use the wrong network adapter?  Any help would be appreciated as it is limiting my foobar experience somewhat!  Cheers!

Reply #7
In File > Preferences > Networking > Proxy server, is it set to "Use Internet Explorer settings"? If IE can connect, then Foobar2000 should as well.

I've never used OpenVPN, so this is a shot in the dark, but is it possible that it is offering your pc a virtual networking adapter, and Foobar2000 is trying to use it? You could confirm this by running OpenVPN and see if it connects.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #8
The same issue here. And I have already faced it in Vista, and in Win7 also. After few months it suddenly doesn't work. There is no proxy and no firewall restriction.
So I have removed the app with revo and reinstalled it: the fresh core install still doesn't work.
I'm wondering if we could get a more detailed error log somehow...?

Reply #9
Thanks for the reply DustMagnet.  I tried the IE proxy setting and it had no effect.  As for the OpenVPN issue that's what I meant by "Maybe foobar is trying to use the wrong network adapter" - however after connecting to the VPN and ensuring that the network adapter is active, foobar still cannot connect to the internet!

Reply #10
Do you people use some third party security software like firewall or some internet security suite? The internet connectivity foobar2000 uses is done with standard Windows functions and there's no reason having multiple connections or VPNs installed would break it.

Reply #11
Nope.  Only Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.  I've tried disabling both, with no luck.  Also, I've found a similar post on these forums that I posted to when it stopped working on my PC (sorry for dupe, forgot I'd posted this one - resolved only after a fresh install of Windows!): http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=101310

Is it potentially the way foobar interacts with winsock? Is is possible to create a test console application with the foobar netcode that could output some diagnostic info or something?

Reply #12
So I did a little investigating of my own using WireShark.  Not sure if this will be of any use, but this is what I've learnt. 

- Foobar is indeed using the correct network interface.
- Every connection foobar makes to the internet results in a RST flag being sent.
- I can send the network output from WireShark after a simple check for updates.  I would post it here but I'm unsure if it contains sensitive information about my computer.

Cheers.

Reply #13
I can also confirm these problems. I had a old foobar2000 config running with a load of collumn ui plugins etc. Was unable to open radiostreams, update components/foobar basically anything regarding the internet. It had worked before because i had even a setup with foobarcon to my phone for remote control.

I also have been looking at wireshark and have seen that packets from foobar get RST packet responses. Basically something resets the connection for foobar. Have run it in administrator mode. Have run it with firewall disabled. Just reinstalled it completely with removal of all settings and folders. But no improvement.

No proxy / IE proxy settings do not resolve anything. I have Bluecoat K9 Web protection running, but also after disabling that software the problem persists. I'm pretty much out of idea's

---
  I didn't actually fully disable K9 before. Now i actually disabled it and foobar can connect to the internet again. Time to say bye-bye to the filter.

Reply #14

Hi, you deciphered the problem, it was really K9 that blocked the internet traffic of foobar. The strange is that there was no other mediaplayer affected by this very good web filter...