Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: E-MU 0404 PCI-E Help and Advice (Read 5977 times) previous topic - next topic

E-MU 0404 PCI-E Help and Advice

Hello all, first post, hope this is in the right place. Go easy 
So i was wondering if someone could help me with my audio issues?
I'm not overly familiar with the audio side of computers but am savvy enough in other areas. Trying to learn.
I currently have an E-MU- 0404 PCI-E and am struggling to understand how best to utilise its features. When i was building my computer i was told that this would be the best card for my needs, which is mainly music production, for which i needed good ASIO support, and accurate sound production. Hope this was good advice? Peoples oppinions on this welcome.
So my main question is about the connections on the card. For those unfamiliar with the card the connections can be seen here http://www.creative.com/emu/products/produ...5&pid=20022
I am confused as to what the best output is to use for:
1. Stereo Headphones
2. Stereo Speakers
I am also wondering about amps, but that is a whole other ball game i think.
As i said im rather new to the audio side of computers so any help or advice any could give would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Reply #1
I am confused as to what the best output is to use for:
1. Stereo Headphones
2. Stereo Speakers

Your soundcard only has a line out with two mono 1/4" jack sockets (one for the left channel, one for the right channel). You're going to need a cable that has two mono 1/4" jacks (male) on one end, and whatever is required on the other end to connect it to an amplifier (one male stereo 1/8" jack, or two male RCA connectors…). If you want to use your headphones with it, you're going to need a headphone amplifier.

Reply #2
If you want to use your headphones with it, you're going to need a headphone amplifier.

Could you possibly exapnd on this? Why couldn't I just connect it straight to headphones using something like: http://www.dv247.com/cables/dv-essential-s...ead-0-5m--90923
Or for speakers something similar but not a splitter, just male to male jacks?

Reply #3
The cable you linked to has a mono socket, so that's no good even for speakers. As for headphones, the output impedance of your line-out is probably way too high for headphones, and you might not be able to adjust volume. Ideally, you want a headphone amplifier with near 0 ohm output impedance.

You want something like this and like this. If you want to be able to easily switch between headphones and speakers, you're going to need an amplifier that has both a headphone out and a line-out, though.

Reply #4
Thanks for your reply.
If you want to be able to easily switch between headphones and speakers, you're going to need an amplifier that has both a headphone out and a line-out, though.

Yes to this, looking into speakers also, but for now just want to be able to connect my headphones. But looking ahead i will need to do both, can you recommend any? I know i would probably have to listen to some before i buy right?

Reply #5
the output impedance of your line-out is probably way too high for headphones

Sorry to go back to this, but as i said im not over familiar with audio. All i know is impedance has something to do with resisatance? Could you possibly explain what you mean by this?

Reply #6
But looking ahead i will need to do both, can you recommend any?

Sorry, I don't know of any product that fits the bill. I'm sure they exist, I just don't know about them. There's the FiiO E09K, but it has an output impedance of 10?, more suitable for headphones that are 80? or more.

All i know is impedance has something to do with resisatance? Could you possibly explain what you mean by this?

See Headphone & Amp Impedance.

Reply #7
Sorry, I don't know of any product that fits the bill. I'm sure they exist, I just don't know about them. There's the FiiO E09K, but it has an output impedance of 10Ω, more suitable for headphones that are 80Ω or more.

So am i better of getting two seperate amps? One for headphones and one for speakers or is there no difference between these and one that can do both?

Reply #8
No difference, I think. Note that the E09K's line out is only suitable for powered speakers, or for connecting to an actual speaker amplifier.

Reply #9
What output would i use for analog headphones? Line out?

Reply #10
EMU line-out -> headphone amplifier line-in -> headphone out

Reply #11
So if i wanted to swap from headphone to speakers would have to unplug headphone amp and plug in speaker amp. Unless i can find an amp that does both? After some quick researching i think the general opinion is seperate amps are better than a hybrid, guess its something to do with impedance?

Reply #12
If you had a headphone amplifier with a line-out (in addition to the obligatory line-in), you could use that to connect it to a speaker amp, without unplugging anything. And yeah, the problem is finding a speaker amp with a low output impedance on the headphone out. Manufacturers almost never give out that spec.

Alternatively, you could buy any speaker amplifier with a line-out or a headphone out, and connect a cheap headphone amplifier like the FiiO E6 or the E11 to it via either the amp's line-out or headphone out; that would solve the output impedance issue. I keep linking to FiiO products because they're affordable, and their output impedance is known.

Reply #13
I see so connecting a a headphone amp to a speaker amp via the speaker amps line out/headphone out, will that lead to any loss in sound quality or impedance problems? I take it for this to work without needing to swap i would need a speaker amp with a headphone and line out? Is that possible? FiiO products do seem to get good reviews especially the desktop one. Was looking at http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1 bu cant find it anywhere, buget is probably around £100 anyway so FiiO seem to fit in with that well, are they the recommended brand, dont want my sound card to be done an injustice by having a poor amp.

Reply #14
I see so connecting a a headphone amp to a speaker amp via the speaker amps line out/headphone out, will that lead to any loss in sound quality or impedance problems?

IME, far better is to do one of the following:

(1) Use a passive splitter *Y cable" to drive both the speaker amp and the headphone amp at the same time.
(2) Use a speaker amp that also contains a respectable headphone amp.

I take it for this to work without needing to swap i would need a speaker amp with a headphone and line out? Is that possible? FiiO products do seem to get good reviews especially the desktop one.

I have a couple of pieces of FIIO product including their E5 headphone amp and find them to provide the performance I need at a reasonable price and in a reasonable package.

Was looking at http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1 bu cant find it anywhere,

Thanks for the fact that you can't find it, because it is highly questionable. Why have a tube sonic colorizer in your signal path? Will it hurt so good or what?

Budget is probably around £100 anyway so FiiO seem to fit in with that well, are they the recommended brand, don't want my sound card to be done an injustice by having a poor amp.

The 0404 is a good piece to have.

Reply #15
Use a speaker amp that also contains a respectable headphone amp.

Wont the quality of the headphone amp suffer because its hybrid? Would prefer accurate sound from seperate amps if the quality will suffer. Can you recommend any?

Will the 500 ohm impedance give me a hard time?

Reply #16
Use a speaker amp that also contains a respectable headphone amp.

Wont the quality of the headphone amp suffer because its hybrid?

Not necessarily. Contrary to some people's belief putting more function into a box doesn't necessarily degrade the operation of the things that are already there. If that were true how to we make complex machines that fill whole rooms with electronic parts ever work?

Would prefer accurate sound from separate amps if the quality will suffer. Can you recommend any?

I gave you a specific recommendation and now you are pretending nothing every happened. Could you do more de-motivate me to help you further?

Will the 500 ohm impedance give me a hard time?

You appear to be critically reading-challenged. What is unclear about FIIO E5? Are you unaware that it is a well-known and widely used headphone amplifier?

<shaking head>

Reply #17
What is unclear about FIIO E5? Are you unaware that it is a well-known and widely used headphone amplifier?

As per my first post i am completely new to audio technology, hence my lack of understanding.
I thought the E5 was a headphone Amp only, guess i am wrong will look into it more. Thanks