Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I fried my PC [I think] (Read 4293 times) previous topic - next topic

I fried my PC [I think]

Hey guys! Yup, I've managed to break my pc once again.  This time what happened was:  I ordered some new ram, placed it into the motherboard (I grounded my self and everything! ).  I turned on my PC to hear an electrical click and an electrical burning smell.  So now when I put my PC on all the fans spin  but I get no picture on the monitor and the numlock light flashes a few times.  Have I just, as I think, blown my motherboard?  I have ordered another mb butI'm worried that everything connected to it is also gone (my new ram, processor etc.)  Can anyone rest my fears?

Tony

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #1
Use your nose to find the burned part. My guess is the power supply.

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #2
Sounds like you either

- tried to insert the wrong RAM (SDRAM into DDR slots, maybe)
- didn't fully insert it until the bracket clips snapped in
- forcefully inserted it in the wrong direction
- installed DDR-RAM together with existing SDRAM (some mobos have slots for both, but only one type of RAM can be installed at a time)

Or something else went wrong. Anyway, at least one component is dead now, but i think both RAM and mobo might be gone for good...

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #3
did you hear any beeps coming from your computer ? tried resetting the bios of your computer using the jumpers? tried removing the new ram you've bought ?

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #4
I had EXACTLY the same thing happen when I installed a new power supply. Returning to the new PS had the same results. My CPU, RAM, etc... were all okay.

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #5
Ok, my computer doesn't bleep at all.  My fans still spin si I doubt it's my power supply.  The RAM I inserted was PC2100 so was compatible with my MB (unless there is different types of PC2100).  Also, a few lights come on in my MB soI'm not too sure what that means.  When my new MB get's delivered is there a chance that putting in this RTAM will frie it again?  Everyone has been very helpful to me, thanks a lot guys

Tony

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #6
When my new MB get's delivered is there a chance that putting in this RTAM will frie it again?  Everyone has been very helpful to me, thanks a lot guys

Well, you have to find the cause of it all. For instance, if you didn't insert the sticks all the way until the clips snapped in, and you do the same thing on your new mobo, chances are it will also fry. If the RAM is defective, your new mobo could fry, too. I wouldn't just put the new mobo in if i don't know what caused it. Take a good look at your mobo, the RAM sticks and the outside of the PSU, do you see any charred spots or anything melted?

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #7
Yeah, that's good advice Citay.  But I'm 99% sure I did insert them all the way.  I did put the clips in.  Does it matter what way I put them in?  I mean waould they fit in the 'wrong way'?

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #8
Does it matter what way I put them in?  I mean waould they fit in the 'wrong way'?

They might do, with enough force. They have a notch to prevent that, but i heard that people squashed it in anyway. Check if this could've been it.

Did you look for any signs of dead components? If it was your PSU, it should smell pretty ugly when you sniff on it's ventilation slits.

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #9
Ok, I had a good smell around the PSU and it seems ok.  THere is no wayon earth I could have put the RAM in the wrong way, no I'm looking at it...  Can you tell me, if a motherboard is wired up ok but with no ram or CPU would it still display the bios screen?  Also, when I turn the power on to it a few lights come on in the MB and all the fans spin.  However, this only happens for about 6 seconds then it turns it's self off.  If I then turn it on again everything stays on for as long as I want.  Also, when I push the power button (the one on the case) I see a light coming on in the MB, but nothing happens - the PSU doesn't turn off.  One last thing too, when the pc is switched on the HDD makes a funny sounds, a bit like it's searching quickly.  It does this about 3 times then the PC turns off.  I don't know much about MBs so I'm dreading fitting it.

I'm sorry about the poor grammer in my post, but I had to blurt everything out as soon as it came to me

Thanks Citay

Tony

Ps, just checked on the MB - all RAM is DDR PC2100 so everything should be fine there.

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #10
Can you tell me, if a motherboard is wired up ok but with no ram or CPU would it still display the bios screen?

No, CPU and RAM are required, i guess.

Also, when I turn the power on to it a few lights come on in the MB and all the fans spin.  However, this only happens for about 6 seconds then it turns it's self off.

And it doesn't beep? Hmm.. sounds more and more like the mobo was indeed damaged.

One last thing too, when the pc is switched on the HDD makes a funny sounds, a bit like it's searching quickly.  It does this about 3 times then the PC turns off.

Seems as if it doesn't get any initialization command from the mobo.

I don't know much about MBs so I'm dreading fitting it.

Do you mean, the new mobo?

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #11
Yeah, I did mean the new MoBo.  You've put my mind at easy now, I hope after I fit my new MoBo everything will work.  I can't afford to replace anything else.  Just my luck too, my 512k broadband access comes tomorrow and I need to use a 350mhz pos.  Ah well, I can't complain, it's given me _much_ less hassle in 5 years than my new one gave me in 1 month.  PCs...

Thank you very much Citay, you've helped me a great deal.

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #12
Anytime. 

Yeah, I did mean the new MoBo.

Here's a guide: How To Install A Mainboard .

Parts 2.2 and 2.8 are not necessary though, i'm puzzled as to why they do this. I never did this and successfully built 20 to 30 PCs so far.

I fried my PC [I think]

Reply #13
Thank you Citay, that is a great help  I owe you, friend